One of the most important dates on the calendar across the globe is Mother’s Day, celebrated in Australia on the second Sunday of May each year.
In 2021 in Australia, Mother’s Day falls on Sunday, May 9 and this is also the case in many other countries including the United States, Canada, New Zealand, India, the Philippines, South Africa, China, Japan and most European nations.
The concept of Mother’s Day was borne in the USA early in the 20th century, when West Virginian resident Anna Jarvis launched a campaign for Mother’s Day to be officially recognised in 1905, after her ‘mom’ had passed away.
The first official recognition was three years later when Jarvis arranged a special memorial for her mother.
You will notice that Great Britain is not included in the above list of countries, as in the UK, Mother’s Day has been around for many centuries longer.
During the Middle Ages, a tradition developed where people who had moved away from the family home to other areas to obtain work would return to visit their local churches – and their mothers – on the fourth Sunday of Lent (the six weeks period leading up to Easter Sunday).
This event became known as Mothering Sunday in England, and as the time of Easter (and therefore Lent) varies from year to year, so does Mothering Sunday.
As we have done quite often over the past several months when significant dates on the calendar have loomed large, the team at Yes I Can Project Group has drawn up a list of suggested gifts for the most important woman in the world to all of us, the person who brought us into the world and who is always there for us….our darling mum.
- BATHROOM RENOVATION: What better Mother’s Day gift can you provide for the most special lady on the planet than a full bathroom renovation by the best in the business, Yes I Can Project Group! We are NSW’s fastest growing and most innovative building company, specialising in quality bathroom renovations in Sydney. We look forward to transforming mum’s tired old bathroom into a stylish, modern, safe and comfortable space from as little as $20,000. The perfect gift for mum and we promise you that she will love it! And there’s a special discount if you mention that the bathroom renovation is for mum!
- GUCCI BAG: Of course, all of the ‘big’ stores have fantastic Mother’s Day gifts at special prices. One which caught our eye from the Costco Mother’s Day catalogue was a beautiful Gucci Ophidia Chain Shoulder Bag, made from blue leather and priced at $2,499.99. All women love Gucci and your mum will be over the moon with this gift. As the brand’s founder Aldo Gucci said all those years ago, “Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten”.
- MASSAGE CHAIR: Still browsing through Costco’s catalogue and we were also taken by the massage chair they have on special for Mother’s Day. The Masseuse Massage Remedial Deluxe Massage Chair is available for $3,899.99, which is $700 off the normal price from the warehouse. As Costco says, this is the Mother’s Day gift that keeps on giving!
- PERFUME GIFT PACK: For those not quite in the market for a Bathroom reno, Gucci bag or Massage chair, a bottle of amazing perfume may be the answer….especially if you’ve left it til the last minute! Bujairami Perfumes are conveniently located near Big W at Stockland Wetherill Park Shopping Centre and they have a wonderful selection of fragrances, manufactured in exotic Dubai and perfected here in Sydney. The $110.00 gift pack (three bottles) is incredible value while a single bottle will set you back just $40.00. www.bujairami.com.au
- CHOCOLATE HAMPER: Like perfume and flowers, chocolate is one of Mother’s Day’s great ‘go to’ items. We couldn’t stop licking our lips when we came across a yummy Darrell Lea Gift Bag available from deliciousbuds.com.au for the special Mother’s Day price of $68.00 - and delivery is available. Darrell Lea is an iconic Australian brand and this Gift Bag, which boasts a wide selection of treats, is the perfect choice for mum, grandma or nanna.
- (NOT JUST) ROSES ONLY: Another iconic Australian company is Roses Only. Located at St Peters in Sydney’s inner west, they’ve been around since 1995 and they will make up a beautiful bunch, bouquet or basket of flowers for same day delivery. But they also have some lovely gift packs and for just $109.95, we recommend their Luxurious Petals, which has a range of products that mum can pamper herself with. Packed into a Roses Only hat box, this beautifully presented offering includes a box of chocolates, wellness bath soap, celebration candles and some breakfast tea - and is topped with vibrant red rose petals. rosesonly.com.au
- SPORTS WATCH: JB HI-FI has a host of great value items on sale for Mother’s Day, including the Garmin Fenix 6S ProSports Watch, coloured Rose Gold and White. It has a long list of fantastic features include wrist-based heart rate, Pulse Ox2 sensors, multi GNSS satellite reference and outdoor sensors….and you can even listen to some music without your phone. Priced at $574.00, you will save $575.00 if you purchase this item for mum.
- AIR FRYER: Another special for mum from JB HI-FI is the Tefal Easy Fry Deluxe XXL Air Fryer. This great fryer has hot air technology which optimises the air flow so you can fry crispy and delicious food with hardly any oil. Normally $349.00, you save $150.00 if you purchase one of these beauties prior to Mother’s Day.
A VERY HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY TO ALL MUMS FROM RICHARD AND THE TEAM AT YES I CAN PROJECT GROUP - AND REMEMBER:
“At Yes I Can, if we can’t do it, no one can!”
- A DOZEN RED ROSES: A bunch of beautiful, nursery grown red roses has been the ‘go to’ item for gentlemen wanting to make their ladies feel special on Valentine’s Day since time immemorial! (Especially if you meant to buy her something more elaborate or more expensive but forgot and have run out of time!) A nice, healthy bunch of a dozen red roses will generally set you back around $100 – you may even get some change!
- ROMANTIC WEEKEND: For less than $2,000, you can book a romantic weekend stay at the Park Hyatt Hotel, one of Sydney’s most famous five star hotels, with superb views of the world’s best Harbour.
Blue Moutains retreat